hap

February 11, 2010

Misery

Updated: He seems more alert this morning and his eyes look clearer. He is tilting to the side a little and dragging one of his front feet, so there's something going on, but he looked better than he did. I woke up at 4:00 and googled nicotine poisoning (in case he'd eaten a cigarette butt out of the trash) and dog stroke, and neither of them fit his symptoms either. I hope the vet has an answer today and that Pete continues to improve. FAST.
**************

Petey is sick. He has vomited probably 20 times in the last day and a half, is lethargic, and hardly rolls his eyes if we walk through the room or kneel near his crate to see how he's doing. He won't accept treats, not even a lick of the ice cream the vet prescribed in addition to antibiotics. Pete has never turned up his nose to food.

He went to the vet this morning and will go back tomorrow if there isn't any improvement, but it's extremely hard to wait. I want someone to make him feel better NOW.

He is very thirsty. I let him out to do his business and he was nosedeep in a snowbank before his body was out the door. I gave him a minute and went to pick him up to bring him back inside before he ate/drank too much and he bolted away from me, licking at the snow as he ran. That's the fastest I've seen him move since yesterday. He's been lying immobile in his crate or on the rug for most of tonight.

Symptoms aren't those for dog flu or ibuprofen toxicity (vet has him on it for the arthritis) and I can't find anything to match how he's acting. The doctor said he didn't think there was an obstruction, but told us to limit his water and bring him back for an X-ray tomorrow if he's still ill.

I'm trying to give him his space, because no one wants someone stroking their snout or petting their arm if they feel nauseous. There's nothing he can tell me when I ask, "What's wrong, pumpkin? What can I do?" I have never seen him like this and it's worrying me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Poor Petey. I hope they figure it out pretty soon.

February 11, 2010 10:28 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Thank you, Jay. Me too. No real answers today and I'm still worried, but he sniffed at some scrambled eggs and the food bowl, so I'm hopeful he'll be turning the corner soon.

February 13, 2010 1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home