hap

November 14, 2009

Winter prep

Although I'm not quite ready for weather that requires preheating the car, swaddling myself in scarves, and leaving the warmth of the bed every morning, at least the yard is prepared. I raked and bagged the last of the leaves and clipped the faded peonies and hostas. I left some leaves around the roses to insulate them a little (did I read that or just get lazy and think it sounded good? are you supposed to mulch roses for the winter?) and am waiting for the final buds to develop just a bit more before cutting them and letting them bloom inside. I promised one to the neighbor girl, so I hope they continue to grow for just a bit longer.

Over the summer she asked to come over and check out my flowers a number of times, and it was pretty neat to discuss where they were in their cycle, why this one produced pods when it was done blooming and that one produced berry-looking things, why the one peony made buds that didn't flower, and what each plant is named. She came over twice today, once before the great clipping and once afterward, and helped me figure out where to move the dianthus next Spring.

Willy snuck out two bones to chew on the back porch while I worked, and it was a hard job getting the boys inside when I was done. They must know these warm sunny days are in short supply, and I think they wanted to make the most of it. I ended up leaving the back doors open for an hour so they could come and go as they pleased.

I'll be ready for winter when it hits (love the snow and sweaters and crock pots and gloves), but in the meantime I'm savoring days like today.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sailor said...

I used to love the winter coming, and a lot of it was as you describe- the feeling of being ready, all tucked away and set.

These days, cold just hurts, lol- I swear, I'm far to young for "old people syndrome", but since I had that surgery, I actually sympathize with people that can feel the weather changes coming!

November 15, 2009 12:12 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

The guy on the radio just said "A 50% chance of precipitation on Monday night with lows near 30." He couldn't bring himself to say what kind of precipitation.

November 15, 2009 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just killed a mosquito in mid-November. Send the cold days over here, please!!

November 17, 2009 6:38 AM  
Blogger Lj said...

Who wouldn't love hanging out with you and learning about flowers?

November 18, 2009 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home