hap

June 06, 2010

Like white on rice

The rain was starting to come down heavier along the drive home tonight when the radio went "BEEEP, BEEEP, BEEEP ... take immediate cover." It's so comforting to hear one of those severe weather warnings when you're fifteen miles from home.

My first thought was for the tomatoes, trapped in pots this year. I'd planted them in the wrong type of containers (no drainage), and I pictured water buildup and drowning roots. Shit. Well, I'll tip them out when I get home, and stick them in the garage overnight. I'll drill holes at the bases tomorrow.

My second thought was for the boys, Pete in particular. He gets a little nervous during storms and on more than one occasion recently I've come home to a dog toy on the bathroom rug and pawprints in the tub. Don't ask me - he must have learned somewhere that it's a safe place.

Lightning. Heavier rain. Sheets spraying away from the tires at the highway's low points. This is lovely. Ah. Here's my exit. Whew, almost hom - HOLY CRIPES! A deluge of water all over the windshield.

Sure enough, both dogs seemed a little agitated when I got home, and I noticed the shower curtain was awry. Pete shouldered past me into the bathroom and jumped straight in the bathtub. Willy followed.

They have not left me alone since. They've been stepping on my heels, licking my face, and plopping down immediately behind my chair. If I leave the room, they follow. Willy's stomach hasn't stopped gurgling, and Pete won't stop panting.

We might need to look into some doggie Valium.

5 Comments:

Blogger RockDog said...

And then....?

You're going to leave us hanging??? You need to post every hour on the hour in conditions such as these! LOL

Hope all is OK!

Cheers!

June 06, 2010 7:56 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sorry for the oversight, RockDog! The storm passed, and the dogs relaxed :)

June 06, 2010 11:39 AM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Poor pups... glad it passed & they've settled down; you sent that weather my way though, thanks! lol

June 06, 2010 8:12 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Whoops, sorry! Hope it didn't hit too bad, Sailor.

June 08, 2010 11:33 PM  
Blogger Adamity_Bomb_Bomb said...

God, you're funny! Soooo funny! I'm LOL-ing all the time when I read your stuff. That is funny as heck about the dogs "shouldering past" you into the bathroom. I can't--I *do*, but--it's hard to fathom a dog using the bathroom tub as a "safe place." Amazing. Toto should take notes. =OD

August 09, 2010 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home